Friday, September 14, 2012

Ciao Bella, bro my name is Jayllee... TIA

Phew, what a whirlwind of a week, hundreds of kilometers covered, over 20 UNESCO world heritage sites visited, amazing new friends, funny stories, a new tan, and fun times!

Ill begin with Florence. It was astronomically amazing, the historic buildings,the DOME, the statues, monuments, bridges, sites, weather, all ten out of ten. Many people have meet have not really liked Florence, I can see why, it is quite small, but small is refreshing. It is not overwhelming, seeing all the sites is actually achievable! I'm not a huge fan of the Italian culture, but their buildings and environment I absolutely adore. It is with out a doubt one the top five most beautiful countries I have every had the pleasure to visit.

 Florence, saw a an elderly fellow attempt to pickpocket me. Idiot. What girl carries anything in her pockets these days, it is all in the handbags mate, did he not see the size of my handbag! I'm also quite certain the tongue thrashing I gave him we he groped my short pockets motivated him to quickly disappear from my sight. This occurred on one of the oldest bridges in the world, also one of the only bridges in the world to still have functioning shops on. I am of course talking about the Ponte Vecchio bridge.I  made the killer trek up a hill, which really should be classified as a small mountain but the view was worth every tortuous step!

A day trip to Pisa was called for, it was quite easy to catch the train from the main station in Florence to Pisa, on and hour train ride. Pisa was surprisingly small, it is basically a university town. The Leaning tower of Pisa, not Pizza, was great. The white stone used and the incredible tilt was a site to behold, however what was even greater was the amount of tourists there posing with the typical pushing the tower picture. My gosh. I couldn't bring myself to do it, it also did not help that I was taking the picture myself. So a selfie whilst attempting to get the correct angle was not going to be an easy task. However I only recommend a half day trip, because to be honest that's about the only thing there. After catching the train back, I chilled in the air con at the hostel

Sunday morning had me catching a train to Roma, or Rome. My first impressions of this historic city and its 3 million population was not complementary. The people were aggressive, rude and pushy, not my kindred spirits. A lady on the short bus trip from the train station to the hostel had her laptop and purse stolen from her backpack. Welcome to Italy peeps.

 I checked in no problemo, had a lovely couple of girls in my bungalow, ended up hitting the hostels pub with them, and making a tonne of new friends! Travelers are always such a friendly bunch, always a good thing when you are traveling by yourself.

Monday morning up bright and early to begin my Italian adventure, with Busabout the Italian Tour Itinerary was super busy, but amazing. However one down point I feel that people should be aware of would be the multiple extra costs. I easily spent around 50 euro a day, far more than I had expected.

I don't want to drag on about what we did, but Ill mention a few of the highlights. I would definitely recommend anyone traveling to Italy.

  • Pompeii – destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD
  • Local boat trip to visit the glamorous Capri and chair lifts!
  • The infamous Blue Grotto Cave this was surreal!
  • Swim in the Mediterranean Sea on the Amalfi  coast line!
  • Drive the Amalfi Coast road, one of the best scenic views in Europe 
Now to some observations...
  • It is normal for men of all ages, shapes, and sizes to wear speedos, the same goes for women in bikinis. 
  • If you are not tanned, you will soon be. 
  • Buses will always win on one way streets. 
  • Italians loved their pirate watch towers. 
  • Italians can wear the most inappropriate clothing to go hiking in. 
  • There is no such thing a traffic rules, however over here,  it is polite to toot your horn, as you are signifying- to other drivers wear you are and what you are doing. 
I have explored Rome, what a historic city. However this is also the place in all my travels that I have seen the most obscene amounts of tourists. Honest to goodness I have never seen lines for attractions as long as these, almost a k long. Ridiculous. I found that very off putting, so I did not go into any of the historic buildings, because lets face it i am so not patient enough to wait that long.

I have to pack up my stuff today, getting ready to fly back to London on Saturday. I cannot wait to have my own bedroom, to stop living out of a suit case!

No comments :

Post a Comment