Sunday, November 4, 2012

Venice, in water? No way.

You know when you put some thing off for a while, in your mind you have categorised it into the 'bad' stuff group, stuff 'I don't want to do'. Somehow my blog ended up in that group this week.

I visited Venice last weekend with one of my great friends Speck, who I do know reads this blog. So I apologise if it looks like I was a psycho lazy freak who didn't want to talk about our never ending fight against Italy and it's weather. It was simply lumped into the 'I'll do it soon' pile. 

But never the less my subconscious and excitement of the next few weeks has spurred me on to update  this blog.  Forewarning, this will be a long blog, so go grab a cup of tea, or a coke, or a beer, or something. You'll need it to wash down your jealousy with.


Friday, 26th October 2012
I have to say today was probably one of the worst days ever, in relation to things going my way. It was an early morning start, by early morning I mean 2.20am, walking out of my flat, bag packed weighing 7kg.... Yes, you heard me 7kg. One digit weight! Caught the 3.20am bus to Stanstead airport, an hour away, from the galleria; a massive outlet shopping centre, 10 minute walk from my house.

 
That was an uneventful trip. I had previously printed out the boarding pass, and tucked in behind my ipad in it's case. Reaching my hand into my sports bag, shovelling around and coming up empty. I have to say I have never felt so away at 4.30am than I did this morning. No iPad. My stomach dropped. No friging way. I lift my iPad at home. Looking down, I remember thinking, well that's alright, first travelling mistake in 4 months, not  shabby not to shabby at all. Just a pity that it'll cost me £60 for a reprint. 

However before resigning to wasting more money, and getting into to this ridiculously long cue for this time in the morning, I do one more soul searching, arm raping of my bag. And guess what. I FOUND ITTTTTT! It was at the other end of the bag. Opps. Blonde moment. Morning moment. Red head moment. Awesome moment!

So booyah, waltz through security, grab a Frappuccino, and find my plane... A bit bumpy but amazing views whilst flying into Venice!

I met speck at possibly the smallest airport i have ever had the pleasure of being in. We caught the shuttle bus into Venice, all perfect timing and great so far. 

Get into Venice, the main bus station, walk down to the canals, get slightly lost, ask for directions tot he 'people mover'. Slightly nerve racking name right? Back to the bus station, get pointed to the 'people mover' i.e. trams like the ones at changi Singapore airport. Spend a euro  to move 400 metres, yay for ripping tourists off.  We were now at the meeting point for our hostel shuttle. Hour and a half later, no shuttle. We make the wise decision, and call it quits, time to dominate Venice's mad public transport. 

We miss the first bus, and have to wait another twenty minutes. Get off at the right stop thank goodness. In a neighbourhood that doesn't look to shabby, I would possibly classify it as the suburb of Venice's, if that's even possible. 

We get lost, eventually find our hostel. Grab our keys, chill in our cabin, decide to take the 4pm shuttle into Venice. Hop on the bus, get kicked off the bus for no ticket. Walk to the public bus stop and find the best Gelato EVER! The whole day was just recovered! Our reward every time we caught public transport was gelato... Good reward system.

Upon arrival back into Venice, the heavens opened, flooding the streets. We were spectacularly drenched in record time, shoes and socks sodden, jackets no more use than a wet towel, but it was fantastic. Successfully got lost again after dinner, illegally stowed away on the ferry taxis, in an attempt to get back to the bus station.     All in all, the first day was amazing.

Saturday 27th October 2012

I think today i got a experience of what it would feel like to be living on a flood prone area. Today consisted of balancing acts. Walking the plank, as on one side the canal, the other side half meter of flooded path. 

Purchasing new 'Alien boots', these plastic contraption that you strap to your legs, so it looks like you feet won't get work. Lie.

Curly hair, drenched again but oh so worth it! we ventured out to St Marks, which was absolutely beautiful, we caught a ferry taxi out to the glass island. Finishing the night with bucketful sex on the beach cocktails and gelato. 

Golly gee. Good day all in all. 

Sunday, 28th October 2012
End verdict Jayllee and Speck 2:Venice 5

I think today would have been the coldest I have been, wettest I have been, and numbest I have ever been in my life.

Walking out the cabin door, no rain just thunderous winds. That's a good thing, perhaps it wasn't as flooded today as it was yesterday? An optimist in my head, the realist saying, its Venice, the place is on water, when it's been raining, and storming, go die of pneumonia. 



But I'm if the half glass full variety, therefore Speck and I donned our thermal tops, singlets, jerseys, jacket, scarves, mittens, beanies, umbrellas, pants (basically every piece of clothing we brought with us), and thongs (flip flops). Yes thongs, our shoes had not yet dried, we debated that if our feet were going to be wet all day, we mine as well be able to dry them at some stages if they were not covered. Let me tell you. WRONG IDEA. Hello 6-degree weather, winds and rain. Smile.

So first journey of the day, get into Venice. This was made nearly impossible for other less worldly independent travellers, but our worldly experience made speck and I a force to be reckoned with. This is where we got our first point against Venice.

The Venice marathon was on today, meaning many roads were cut off because of flooding and closed off for the marathon. Resultantly almost all bus routes has been changed, however, never fear, running across 4 lanes of traffic, risking our necks because remember we're in our thongs. Joined by our new found friends one Australian and one American both students on exchange in Dublin who did indeed end up missing their train. Awkward. But 30 minutes later we arrived saturated but victorious in Venice. Oh yeah. The day was just beginning.

We then proceeded to view the Biennale Architecture 2012. This is where nations from around the world put together a room, competieng. It was fantastic to se e la different sorts of creativity and designs from the worlds best architects!

After a day exploring these venues, we headed home, tot he sanctuary of our warm cabin!

All in all a great trip, with great company! However, I think if I were ever to go to Venice again, I would only go in the Summer months!











No comments :

Post a Comment