Monday, September 3, 2012

Things I should have known about Germany.

Now that i have finally got some time up my sleeve, I thought it was about time I gave you guys something more than just a simple list of my daily activities. Here's what I think anyone visiting the South of Germany should be aware of.

Firstly they drive on the wrong side of the road, after two weeks of being here I still continue to go to the wrong side of the car. It's the small things like this, that remind you you're not at home anymore.




Secondly pertaining to the vehicle side of things. Germans are speed demons, the word slow is not in their vocabulary, if you're going anywhere, you are going there fast.they shave these highways or Autobahns, as they're called where there is no speed limit. With three lanes the right being slowest, middle lane average and the left lane dedicated to those with the penitence for driving150km plus! They were great, everyone knew where they should be, the only downside was the areas with speed restrictions because of road works. I swear there are construction works EVERYWHERE! Almost every castle or historic sites i have been to has been plagued by restoration works or new additions! Good for the building, not good for my photos!

Thirdly, I've been chatting to Steffen about speeding fines, demerit points etc. Here it is a different system, instead of counting down like we do in Oz, they count up to 16 or 18 (can't be too precise!), it is very difficult to get them. For going 15km over they get a €40 fine and no points. Crazy different!

Next up I think people should be aware that unless they are renting a car, with a tour, or staying with an amazing family, it is very difficult to get around in Southern Germany, that s if you venture outside of Munich. The layout of the German countryside and their villages have not changed since the Stone age. Literally the houses are still the same shape and colour, there are local butchers, paddocks. It is so the most traditional landscape i have experienced. Such a wonderful surprise, driving between the valleys and Forrest and appears out a a cottage or two, followed by a castle. Absolutely magical. There is no urban sprawl or never ending housing developments, there is farm lands, field, paddocks, green grass, mountains, and valleys.

I was lucky enough in the always couple of days to attend another Oktoberfest festival, this was great fun, going a on scary rides. I'm usually good with rides, heights are fine, it's just the whole upside down then back to front, sin me around that I have an issue with. That ride was not to pleasant.

The weather has turned pretty sour so it's. Good time or be sitting on a bus heading to Prague right at this moment.

The Keltz family that I stayed with we're absolutely woeful. they chauffeured me around fed me with traditional Bavarian food, attempted to teach meEnglish, played monopoly with me even though they hated the game, took me back to the Nike shop the next day because Eli wanted to purchase some more goodies, drive me three hours to the alps to check out the castle. I could not have been blessed with a kinder family to stay with, I can't wait to head back for the Christmas markets in December!

Yesterday Mel and I went for a cruise along the Danube river, ending up at a Monastery. The monastery has a brewery as most do in Germany, much to my surprise. It was also the world winner of the best beer for the last three years running. After tasting it, I can't say I'd give it my tick of approval!

So this morning went smoothly, apart from a few unnerving moments.

Up at 5.30, because lets face it who doesn't love early mornings! Not. But after a tea and toast, I wasready to face the cold German morning. Melanie being the darling that she is had me seated on the train, all set to go did she leave me, thinking nothing could go wrong, she'd done her part, got me to the train station, on the train.

To bad once she left, I had a scary smirking fella opposite from me. As I sat their, in the disabled seat space, so my humongous suitcase took up minimal space did a clearly important message come across the PA. After a relatively long message, half of the people seating in my carriage got up and left. WHAT ON EARTH DID THE PA SAY?

I got that horrible feeling, you know the one where your stomach drops, and your imagination begins to run rife.

"You're on the wrong train"
"The trains going to some new destination"
"The train is not stopping at the station you need"
"The trains been delayed, someone jumped in front of it"

For all I knew anyone of those things may have been announced. Oh gosh, my mental reaction "Jayllee pray hard, if you end up somewhere wrong, get a cab. Shut up and stay where you are".

Half listening to my sub consciousness I asked the scary fella, "Is this train still going to Munich central HBF?"
"No English,"
Try again.
"Munich central HBF?"
"Yes".
THANK GOD.

But right this second I'm not far from Prague, and so I'm impressed. We have driven past at least a dozen solar panel farms- is that what they're called? Environmentally friendly Czechs!

One small note as well for Germany is heavily into solar panels. It's not surprising to see barns, and whole villages at that with solar panels covering the entire village.



No comments :

Post a Comment